Horray! I got $3,000 in grant money to cover my thesis expenses! It's not a LOT but it should cover supplies and hopefully most of the boat costs. I may even have enough to get me to a conference or two to present results. I bought some supplies to make cages today and I hope to start constructing them tomorrow (even though its Saturday).
The summer is going by quickly even though I'm not that busy. It seems like most of CMES is gone for the month of July so it's pretty quite and slow at work. But that doesn't bother me! I have plenty to keep me busy and if I get bored I can always squeeze in a swim or entertain myself by watching a tv show online. Since I don't have cable at home I have to stream online if I want to watch something. I don't mind not having cable though. It's actually nice not having a tv on in the background all the time. I think I get more done without it and I definitely read more. Right now I'm reading George R. R. Martin's series called "A song of fire and ice". It's all about kings and knights and magic and stuff. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's nice to read something fun and simple after reading so many dry scientific articles!
A few days ago I bought an orchid. I'm 90% sure it's going to die in my care but I'm doing my best. You'd think that I would have started out owning an easier plant to care for like a fern or something but the orchid was just so pretty at the store! I bought special orchid food and am trying to follow all the instructions that my friend Megan has given me. She's a plant freak and has all kinds of orchids so I figure I'd better listen to what she says if I don't want my new baby to die. I tried to get a special orchid pot at the store today and the lady in the greenhouse section of home depot didn't even know what I was talking about. Sigh. Sometimes I just can't wait to get off this island. But not yet! I still have work to do!
The summer is going by quickly even though I'm not that busy. It seems like most of CMES is gone for the month of July so it's pretty quite and slow at work. But that doesn't bother me! I have plenty to keep me busy and if I get bored I can always squeeze in a swim or entertain myself by watching a tv show online. Since I don't have cable at home I have to stream online if I want to watch something. I don't mind not having cable though. It's actually nice not having a tv on in the background all the time. I think I get more done without it and I definitely read more. Right now I'm reading George R. R. Martin's series called "A song of fire and ice". It's all about kings and knights and magic and stuff. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's nice to read something fun and simple after reading so many dry scientific articles!
A few days ago I bought an orchid. I'm 90% sure it's going to die in my care but I'm doing my best. You'd think that I would have started out owning an easier plant to care for like a fern or something but the orchid was just so pretty at the store! I bought special orchid food and am trying to follow all the instructions that my friend Megan has given me. She's a plant freak and has all kinds of orchids so I figure I'd better listen to what she says if I don't want my new baby to die. I tried to get a special orchid pot at the store today and the lady in the greenhouse section of home depot didn't even know what I was talking about. Sigh. Sometimes I just can't wait to get off this island. But not yet! I still have work to do!
Here's a few pics of my new flower:
No comments:
Post a Comment