It's been quite a while since my last entry. I've been insanely busy! My coursework got pretty intense for a bit so I spent a good amount of time reading, studying, and stumbling through statistics problems. The good news is that I now have both of my big midterms out of the way! While I'm on the subject of good news I should mention that I now have a vehicle. It's a green Ford Explorer and I'm quite fond of it. It's a relief to not have to walk through the streets to get home. It can be pretty sketchy downtown and it's not exactly safe for a white, 22 yr old female to walk around. I definitely feel much safer driving an SUV that could squash anyone who tried to mess with me. =) I'm actually probably going to be moving before long now that I have the option of living further away from the bus stops. I'm anxious to get away from the crime and heat that comes with living downtown. Further up the mountain the temperature drops and so does the crime rate!
My RA work is coming along finally. We put out the finished sediment traps in Fish Bay last week. It was hard work and I don't think I have ever swum that far in my life, but I enjoyed it just the same. I really like riding on the boat and feeling the salty air rush by. It's one of those things that just makes you feel alive for some reason. Anyway, I have to wait until the next sampling date before I head back and change out the sediment-catching cups.
I have adopted a stray kitten. About a month ago I noticed a mother cat and her 4 kittens were living under the stairs outside my apartment. Of course, I couldn't let them go hungry so I got some cat food and started feeding them every once in a while when I saw them around. They got pretty used to my presence and weren't scared of me after a while. Then, two days ago I came home and gave them some food but one of the kittens just sniffed it and looked away uninterested. I knew he must be hungry because he was only skin and bones! I went and got some turkey from the kitchen and he wouldn't even eat that! Needless to say, I was pretty worried. I inched my way closer to him and reached out and just picked him up! I expected him to struggle and scratch me the way a feral cat should but he only mildly resisted. I brought him inside and put him on the couch. I put food and water out in front of him and petted him a little. He didn't want to eat but he certainly appreciated the scratches behind his ears. He even started purring for a minute. I was pretty surprised because feral cats don't typically like to be touched. To make a long story short I've adopted him now and he is getting quite spoiled. I took him to the vet today to get his shots and some deworming medicine. He is currently curled up next to me on the couch as if he has always been a house cat. His name is Ivanhoe. He's 1.4lbs and approximately 2 months old. He is a very lucky kitty.
Pictures of campus, my SUV, sediment traps, and Ivanhoe:
![]() |
| Island time |

No comments:
Post a Comment